Duke of Edinburgh
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme is now established at Crookhorn as part of the range of extra-curricular activities on offer at the college.
The award offers a fantastic opportunity to develop young people’s skills and confidence whilst gaining an internationally recognised certification. Crookhorn students are now among the 275,000 young people who complete an award each year.
Students can apply for a place on the bronze award in year 10. Those who successfully complete an award at this level can then progress to the silver award in year 11.
Achieving a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award requires a minimum of six months commitment. During this time, participants work regularly on skill, physical and volunteering activities. An expedition is planned and completed as a group and provides a big adventure which is the highlight of the award for many.
In the short time the award has been established at Crookhorn it has proved hugely popular with students. The quotes below give a small taste of a big experience!
• ‘It’s giving me the opportunity to learn new things and learn to do more things for others’
• ‘It is making me a better person as I am understanding the importance of being patient with other people
and children too’
• ‘I am in a great position to socialize with new people and experience new challenges’
• ‘It’s made me stop and think rather than going 100mph. It made me work as a team member and learn to map read!’
• ‘It’s made me far more positive – I get more involved’